Monday, September 19, 2011

Elizabethan Fife and Drum

Since we live in Elizabeth, CO, and are hence "Elizabethan" I was delighted to see the following quote. It is taken from the book, Connecticut's Fife and Drum Tradition, by James Clark.

"Both fife and drum are recorded among the instruments providing dinner music for Elizabeth I (regnant 1558-1603)...According to a contemporary report, 'Elizabeth used to be regaled during dinner with twelve trumpets and two kettle-drums; which, together with fifes, cornets, and side drums [the military snare drum played on the drummer's left side], made the hall ring for half an hour together'".

-Peter Bringe
 Memor!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Peter,

    Have you read the book "Tailor Made, Trail Worn"? It's main focus is on the Lewis and Clark expedition but it is full of research on the military of that time period. I'm in the middle of reading it right now and it is obvious that the authors put great amounts of time and effort in their research. I would recommend it if you haven't already read it.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read it, but I have heard referenced to when we were doing stuff with the Lewis and Clark Bicentennial in the Lewis and Clark Fife and Drum Corps of St. Charles, MO.

    -Peter B.
    Memor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have referred to that book in researching uniforms. Reenactors I know refer to it as 'the bible' for getting information of the time period.

    Mrs. B

    ReplyDelete