Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Fife and Drum and... Cowboys?

Here is an old Cowboy ballad that originates in a British folk song of the late 18th century called "The Unfortunate Rake". Because of its origins, it mixed fife and drum with cowboys. 

The Streets of Laredo
As I walked out in the streets of Laredo
As I walked out in Laredo one day,
I spied a young cowboy, all wrapped in white linen
Wrapped up in white linen and cold as the clay.

"I see by your outfit, that you are a cowboy."
These words he did say as I slowly walked by.
"Come sit down beside me and hear my sad story,
For I'm shot in the chest, and today I must die."

Chorus: "Oh, beat the drum slowly and play the fife lowly,
And play the dead march as you carry me along;
Take me to the valley, and lay the sod o'er me,
For I'm a young cowboy and I know I've done wrong."

"'Twas once in the saddle I used to go dashing,
'Twas once in the saddle I used to go gay.
First down to Rosie's, and then to the card-house,
Got shot in the breast, and I'm dying today."

 Chorus

"Go bring me a cup, a cup of cold water.
To cool my parched lips", the cowboy then said.
Before I returned, his soul had departed,
And gone to the round up - the cowboy was dead.

 Chorus

-Peter Bringe
 Memor!

No comments:

Post a Comment