Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Bicentennial of the Battle of Mississinewa

We had a great time at Mississinewa! The fall colors were amazing (despite that you can't get a good view of that in the pictures). The weather was great, well...as long as you didn't have to take care of the wet canvas and if your vehicle didn't get stuck. It was great to be back in the atmosphere of the reenactment (campfire smoke and all) and see old friends of ours (some of which are literally old), as well as make new ones. We learned new songs and got to use our C fifes. John learned the battlefield commands and used them during the battles (twice a day). The officers were dignified, and the unit we attached ourself to, the Illinois Territorial Rangers, had a great showing. The dance in the evening was well attended and I got to dance each dance (instead of calling them like I usually do). We sang, we marched, we slept; we almost froze the first night. I wish we could do this more often. Below are some videos and pictures that our "corps mom" took during the event.

Summery of the Event
(With special focus on the military)

Duke of York's March (Short Troop)

Hail Columbia






-Peter B.
Memor!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like good times and good connections with the past. Wish there were more events like that in my area but I am satisfied with the numerous places I have to trek here in Idaho.
    It would be a pleasure if we could meet some day and share a camp. I've always longed to have Christian reenactors to do things with.
    My persona is that of a trapper and there aren't to many God fearing folks among their circles.
    I pray that our trails will cross sometime in the future

    Regards,
    Matthew V

    ReplyDelete
  2. We wish there were more events like that in Colorado as well. The West just has a different kind of history. It would be great if we could meet at some point. Have you done any reenactments outside of Idaho?

    -Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest I haven't really done any reenactments, just mostly got out on my own. I do know one gentleman that I get together with once in a while.
    I got an email from someone that there is a colonial group forming in Boise, two hours from where I live.
    I guess my biggest problem is traveling to events. I just couldn't justify spending the time and money to go and now I'm even more cautious with it all because God willing I'll be getting married in February. I am ok with that though. Marriage is about learning to sacrifice right?


    Matt

    ReplyDelete